On March 7, 1330, Władysław Łokietek, king of Poland, signed a privilege allowing Spycymir Leliwita, Voivodee in Kraków, to locate town of Tarnów. The charter acknowledged Spycymir’s contributions to the kingdom and king including his bravery in a battle against Hungarian invaders.
The area where new town has been located has an elevation of 226m and dominates over neighboring villages. And despite that the original charter of 1330 did not survived until today, two preserved copies did make it. The older one is kept at the Princes Czartoryski Museum in Kraków, more recent one is exhibited in Tarnów Local History Museum at Rynek 20-21. Thanks to the help and involvement of Diocesan Museum in Tarnów, “Bogurodzica”, or “Mother of God” (literally: “God-bearer” from the Greek word Theotokos), the oldest Polish national anthem is played daily at 10 am and 4 pm. Tarnów Chamber of Industry and Commerce was both the originator and funder of the monument.
Type of historical sites: Monument