Kościół Wniebowzięcia Najświętszej Marii Panny Niegowić
Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Niegowić
The village of Niegowić lies among the hills between Wieliczka and Gdów. A magnificent church dominates above the village buildings.
One of the initiators of the church’s construction was a young priest, Karol Wojtyła, who served as a curate of the parish in the years 1948–49, which then had at its disposal a small old wooden church (at present located in Mętków near Chrzanów). The later Pope was sent to Krakow’s outlying village after his return from his theological studies in Rome. It soon turned out that he was not only an academic theologian but also an excellent priest and preacher. In 1966, already as Archbishop, Karol Wojtyła dedicated the local new church, and two years later visited Niegowić after his cardinal nomination. Today, he is commemorated by two plaques: in the church wall and in the curate building, as well as by an unusual statue representing a modest young priest.