Dom Gotycki (Gothic House), Nowy Sącz
The history of the Gothic House, also called the Canonical House dates back to the 15th century. It was adapted for the needs of the canons of the St. Margaret collegiate church, now a minor basilica, and used by them until 1791. The brick building was created by joining three tenement houses: the dean's residence, the vicar's house and the home of elderly single women and widows. It is a one-story building with a basement with late Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque portals and window frames. In the years 1958-1964 the interior of the building was rebuilt and repurposed for a museum. That is why today the Gothic House is a place devoted to art, history and interesting temporary exhibitions. Among the permanent exhibition devoted to old art from the area of Sącz you will find sections devoted to, among others: “Sacred guild art of the 14th-19th century”, “The Royal Castle in Nowy Sącz”, “Folk Art in the 18th-early 20th centuries”, “Court Art in the 17th-19th centuries”. Particularly noteworthy is the collection of Orthodox art with West Lemko icons.